Monday, August 13, 2007

You pay peanuts....you get monkeys

This is one of my mothers time treasured clichés. Of the 39+ years I’ve been walking the planet, I hear this one the most. There are many others. We’ve all heard them or variations of the “mom cliché-fest bits of random advice.” These little mantras are burned in my brain.

Do you want your face to freeze like that?

Actually, yes I do.

Ok, I really don’t because then it would prove that she was right about the whole face freezing thing and that would be just too much to take.

However, to be fair to mom, I have to say as a start-up entrepreneurial wanna be – the old adage “You pay peanuts, you get monkeys” rings true.

Let’s be clear hear. I am all about the sale. The good deal. The bargain. The excellent find. Nothing makes me happier then scoring some awesome purse, shoes, pants, dress, sweater, t-shirt and getting THE DEAL! I love that. That said. I never, ever, ever, buy something JUST BECAUSE (and I know I’m shouting here) it’s on sale. Well – I’ll never say never because I’m sure when I was younger and much more stupider (yeah, yeah I know bad English) at least in terms of clothes I would have snatched up the $15.99 pair of lime green pumps and “found something to wear with it later.” And then they sat in my closet. Untouched. Unloved. Unworn…until I finally cut my losses and donated them to Goodwill.

I live and die by that book “What not to wear.” Do you have this book? If not – run out to the bookstore (or surf to Amazon.com) and buy it today. Now. Right this minute. It’s the British version so it’s full of haughty humor and really really good fashion stuff. Like how to dress your flaws…and trust me. After children, a handful of abdominal surgeries and an obsession for Oreos there are flaws in need of dressing. It’s the book version of the TV show. I love this book. But I digress.

Back to peanuts and monkeys….

Ok – warning – some shameless self-promotion going on now.

I do this little tye-dye thing, right? And I list myself on etsy which is basically an ebay for homemade arts and crafts. I am constantly amazed that the number, the mass volume of artists, crafters, hobbyists (whatever you want to call us) that put everything on sale. Handmade stuff. Stuff created by sheer inspiration, time, talent, the sweat of their brow and then they discount it 50%? Why? A beautiful handmade bracelet, blanket, hat is not some mass produced trinket at Target (I do love Target by the way). It’s handmade. One of a kind. It’s special. Cue warm and fuzzy Hallmark music.

Another warning….Hopping on soapbox.

Are we afraid our own talents are not worth a fair price? I think my wares are worth a fair price. And by fair I mean enough to cover my costs and a little of my time. Not all of my time because geez-oh-petes time is so valuable how do you assign a dollar amount to that? But fair. Maybe I’ll fail at my tye-dye adventure because I won’t do the “Blowout 50% off sale” but I shouldn’t have to. I am guardedly optimistic in a glass-half-full-rose-colored-glasses kinda way that my work will speak for itself. That I’m nice to deal with. That I am good to my customer and I make quality items. I hope I’m right.

So what does this have to do with peanuts and monkeys? Well nothing, now that I think about it. The whole peanuts monkeys bit has to do with quality. Guess I mixed up my mom cliché slice of life metaphors. But if you pay nothing you get junk. So I guess this adage doesn’t apply unless you’re planning on buying the $4 pre-fab tye-dye at Wal-Mart and then it will bleed and fade and of course mine are better. Cripes. I’m really spiraling outta control on this one.

If you’ve read this far....thanks for hanging in there with me. Hopping off soapbox.

3 comments:

MineFull said...

As my husband always says "Make sure you're comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges".
You're completely right about handmade pricing. I think some people discount just to make sales. Since the number of sellers and items on etsy has grown exponentially there's that much more competition to get your wares noticed. I think that you need to stick with pricing that you know is fair for your product. (fair for both you and your customer) Yes, some customers are probably looking for the best deal, but there are plenty of customers who are looking for a quality product. As long as you have a good description of why your product is superior (and I think you do) and you have the best customer service you can offer than you shouldn't even worry about the discounters.
Best of Luck,
Jenniffer
http://MineFull.etsy.com

hipkidstyedye said...

Good observations. I appreciate the feedback and more importanly time you took you read by very long and passionate blog.

Temmie said...

I'm so pleased to see you've found an outlet for your charming writing. :-) And other outlet(s) for your charming talents and entrepreneurial spirit.

Good reading here, friend!

Best to you! I'll be back as time permits. Best ... Kudos, and congrats!